402 Delaware Avenue Palmerton, Pennsylvania 18071 * Phone 610-826-3424
* Email email@example.com
Sun: Closed; Mon, Tues: 10am - 8pm; Wed, Thurs, Fri: 10am - 5pm ; Sat: 9am - 4pm
began in 1911, when a committee of citizens solicited donations of books and
cash to provide a library in a room of the new Neighborhood House, which the New
Jersey Zinc Company completed in that year.
In 1928, the Palmerton Library Association was formed with a board of nine trustees, and governance of the Library passed from NJZ to private citizens of the community, although the bulk of financial support still came from the company and its employees still staffed the Library.
In 1952, the Neighborhood House became the Borough Hall, and the Borough Council became the Library’s new “godfather.”
In 1973, the library declared its independence from both NJZ Company and the borough by accepting the gift of the directors of the First National Bank - their building at Fourth and Delaware Avenue. Throughout the next few years the library added a two-story annex, which now houses a children’s room (first floor) and a gallery and conference room (second floor). Also, a new extended mezzanine, elevator and remodeled basement were completed. During 2007 the library’s catalog was put online and the circulation system was automated.
The library currently hosts an annual art show, photography show, and quilt show as well as ongoing computer classes, yoga three times a week, a bi-monthly knitting club, a Reading to Dogs program, Third Monday Book Club and an annual free Spring Workshop Series on various topics.
Your library raises about 60% of its yearly operating budget from private sources and local donations. Please support your Library.
Gold Card Membership
Consider becoming a sustaining patron of the library by contributing $100.00 or more annually. Gold card patrons are exempt from fines on all materials.
Art work by Katrina Pugh 2009
The Palmerton Area Library Association is supported by the Palmerton Area School District and by the following municipalities: Palmerton Borough, Bowmanstown Borough, Lower Towamensing Township and Towamensing Township.