Your library began in 1911, when a committee of citizens solicited donations of books and cash to provide a library in a room of the new Neighborhood House, which the New Jersey Zinc Company completed in that year.
In 1928, the Palmerton Library Association was formed with a board of nine trustees, and governance of the Library passed from NJZ to private citizens of the community, although the bulk of financial support still came from the company and its employees still staffed the Library.
In 1952, the Neighborhood House became the Borough Hall, and the Borough Council was in charge of the library.
In 1973, the library declared its independence from both NJZ Company and the borough by accepting the gift of the directors of the First National Bank – their building at Fourth and Delaware Avenue. Throughout the next few years the library added a two-story annex, which now houses a children’s room (first floor) and a gallery and conference room (second floor). Also, a new extended mezzanine, elevator and remodeled basement were completed.
In 2007 the library’s catalog was put online and the circulation system was automated.
In addition to our services, the Palmerton Area Library also hosts a variety of programming, including story hours, workshops, yoga classes, guild meetings, summer reading and more.