Welcome to National Novel Writing Month at the Palmerton Area Library! Whether you’re a NaNoWriMo veteran or this is your first year, we’re super excited for your novel!
What is NaNoWriMo?
National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is an annual event that challenges creative writers to write a 50,000 word manuscript in the month of November.
What are the rules?
- Writing begins at 12:00 AM on November 1st and ends at 11:59:59 on November 30th.
- Participants may not start early.
- Novels must reach a minimum of 50,000 words before the end of November in order to win. These words can either be a complete novel of 50,000 words or the first 50,000 words of a novel to be completed later.
- Planning and extensive notes are permitted, but no material written before the November 1st start date can go into the body of the novel.
- Novels can be on any theme, belong to any genre and be written in any language.
How do I participate?
You can create a profile on NaNoWriMo.org and track your progress there, or simply keep track yourself! There are no official requirements to participate, other than to write.
How do I win?
By writing 50,000 words! NaNoWriMo is a self-challenge and participants self-validate their wins. You can also submit your final word count to NaNoWriMo.org if you’d like a more official conclusion at the end of your project.
NaNoWriMo 2023 at the Palmerton Area Library
We’re excited to host a series of events for NaNoWriMo 2023 at the Palmerton Area Library! Check out the schedule below for all our writing dates. You’re also invited to join the library’s online writing group on NaNoWriMo.org (site registration required), where we’ll be sharing resources and supporting one another on this crazy undertaking!
NaNoWriMo Prep Workshop
Saturday, October 21st 1:00 PM
Learn how to plot your novel using a thesaurus! This workshop will cover plotting and character development, as well as techniques to help you reach 50,000 words in November. Please register in advance!Register for the NaNoWriMo Prep Workshop
NaNoWriMo Writing Sessions
Every Thursday in November from 5:00 – 7:00 PM (excluding Thanksgiving)
Join us at the library every Thursday evening as we work on our manuscripts! We’ll run writing sprints and cheer each other on! No registration required; just show up with your favorite writing tools!